These beef koftas are a grilling favourite and fun for kids who like to eat anything off a stick. Serve with prepared tzatziki sauce for dipping. Make it a meal by adding an orzo pasta salad and pita.
1 lb. (500 g) medium ground beef
1 small onion, minced
1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh mint, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) ground coriander
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each salt & pepper
- If using wooden skewers, soak for 25 minutes prior to kofta assembly.
- In a medium bowl combine ground beef, onion, parsley, mint, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper; mix well to combine.
- Divide mixture into 8 balls. Place each ball on the end of a skewer and gently form an oval kabob. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Lightly brush a pre-heated grill or grill-pan with oil or non-stick spray. Cook kofta skewers for 10 minutes, turning every 2-3 minutes until internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C).
- Serve with prepared tzatziki sauce
- Using medium ground beef versus lean ensures there is enough fat present to hold the kofta together. If opting to use extra lean ground beef in place of medium a binding ingredient, like an egg, may be required.
- These kofta can also be cooked in the oven. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Place skewers on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through, or until internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C).
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 209
- Sugar: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 344 mg
- Fat: 11.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.6 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 21.3 g
- Cholesterol: 61 mg
Keywords: Dinner, Grilling, Kid-friendly, Lunch, Gluten-friendly