ZIMMY’S SIGNATURE CLASSIC
Check out the Ontario Beef BURGER BATTLE.
Can you top this burger? You sure can…with red onions, cremini mushrooms, cheese, garlic dills and more. It all starts, however, with a patty that’s the perfect mix of Ontario lean ground beef, garlic & jalapenos.
2 lbs lean ground Ontario Beef
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons sweet onions, finely chopped
3 cloves roasted garlic
1 charred jalapeño (seeds optional)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons prepared hot horseradish
1/4 cup olive oil (for brushing patties before grilling)
6 brioche hamburger buns split and toasted (from Ontario)
Living Boston lettuce (from Ontario)
Multicoloured Heirloom tomato slices (from Ontario)
Aged Cheddar cheese (from Ontario) 4 or 5 years old is ideal
Smoked Gouda cheese (from Ontario)
Spicy garlic dill pickles (from Ontario)
Marinated** red onions (from Ontario)
Ontario Beef Bacon
Sweet & Smokey mustard (from Ontario)
- Place the onion, garlic, jalapeño into a mini food processor, then blitz to chop. Add the eggs, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon, BBQ sauce & horseradish, then blitz to combine. (Alternatively: mince onion, garlic, and jalapeño finely and mix ingredients in a large bowl.)
- Add mixture to a large bowl, then add panko and stir to combine.
- Add Ontario Beef to the bowl and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Shape into 6 x 6 ¼-6 ½ oz patties (about ¾” thick x 4 ½” diameter). Using your thumb, press the middle of each patty a few times to create an indent that will keep the burgers from puffing up when cooked. Before grilling, place the patties on a tray lined with wax paper in the freezer for 30 minutes (cold burgers cook better).
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (400°F – 450°F).
- Brush each patty with olive oil and place oil side down on the hot grill, the brush the top while on the grill. Close lid and grill, turning occasionally and flipping about 4 minutes into the cook. Total cook time 8 – 10 minutes. (Internal temperature 155°F – 160°F). Let patties rest 5 minutes, tented in foil, before topping and serving.
(Make-ahead: Layer between waxed paper in airtight container and refrigerate for up to 24 hours or freeze and cook later from frozen)
** Marinated red onions: slice red onion, place in a bowl that fits the onion rings with at least an inch of room to spare. Pour in olive oil to completely cover onion. Add 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp oregano and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Leave onions uncovered on the counter for at least 2 hours, up to 2 days. Use leftover onions in other recipes and use the flavoured oil to add interest to dressings, marinates or even fry eggs.